N. Korean tech workers faked IDs for overseas defense jobs

North Korean cyberattacks involving the use of fake identities to secure employment at U.S. information technology (IT) companies—then stealing sensitive information—are now spreading beyond the United States to Europe and other regions, according to an analysis.The recent intensified crackdown on North Korean hackers in the U.S. has prompted them to adopt more sophisticated methods and broader disguises in their activities, the Google Threat Intelligence Group (GTIG) said in a report published Wednesday on the official Google Cloud blog.According to the report, North Korean IT workers posed as individuals of various nationalities—including Italian, Japanese, Malaysian, Singaporean, Ukrainian, American, and Vietnamese—using a mix of real and fictitious identities to secure employment. These developers, particularly those operating in Europe, were recruited through online platforms such as Upwork, Telegram, and Freelancer. Their wages were paid in cryptocurrency or via international money transfer services like Wise, to obscure the funds’ origin and destination.In one case, Google revealed that a North Korean IT developer used more than a dozen fake identities to operate across Europe and the U.S. late last year, actively seeking employment with defense and government organizations in Europe. Another North Korean IT developer was found operating in Germany and Portugal, logging into European job platforms and asset management systems. In the United Kingdom, North Korean IT workers were discovered working on projects ranging from website development and bot creation to building content management systems (CMS).남혜정기자 namduck2@donga.com

Center for Science and Industry Releases ‘Dr. B in 3’ Season 4

The Center of Science and Industry (COSI) has announced its animated science series Dr. B in 3 has returned for a fourth season. Hosted by COSI president and CEO Dr. Frederic Bertley, the series delivers bite-sized lessons, making science accessible and exciting for learners of all backgrounds.
“Science should be fun, digestible, and accessible to everyone – whether you’re a student, a teacher, a parent, or just a curious mind looking to understand the world,” said Dr. Bertley. “With Dr. B in 3, we’re breaking down complex topics and delivering them in a way that is engaging, memorable, and truly resonates with learners of all ages.”
With topics spanning the human brain, quantum computing, Generative AI, and the solar system, the series earned three Emmy Awards in 2024 for its approach to science education.
Season 4 will look at the technology shaping modern life, tackling topics such as the impact of smartphones on human behavior, the science behind digital communication, data privacy concerns, and the environmental effects of tech manufacturing.

Dr. B in 3 is integrated with COSI’s nationally recognized Learning Lunchbox program, an initiative that has provided nearly 400,000 STEAM kits to underserved youth across 40 states and seven countries. Learning Lunchboxes include direct links to Dr. B in 3 videos, and some feature a Digital STEAM Portal – a mobile video player where students can explore episodes alongside hands-on activities.
Music is by Alphabet Rockers, with additional production from Elevator Music Worldwide.
Check out the new Dr. B in 3 season on COSI’s YouTube channel and digital platforms.
Source: COSI

Journalist, antique shop owner, aspiring gemologist—L’Wren brings a diverse perspective to animation, where every frame reflects her varied passions.

Do You Have News to Share? Get It Published.

Reach Millions With One Click

Go out on the wires, get syndicated, delivered to newsrooms,
posted to social media and on mobile devices.

Watch Video To See How It Benefits You

Get published on Google News, AP News, Benzinga, over 100+ NBC, FOX, ABC & CBS affiliate sites and more

Target specific countries and industry verticals

Get into the most important news databases and news wires

Reach journalists and media influencers

Attain long-term visibility in search engines & SEO benefits

Send releases in any language

Cost-effective, affordable budget options

No subscriptions – buy only what you need

Powerful.
Timely.
Effective.
Affordable.

Go out on the wires, get syndicated, delivered to newsrooms,
posted to social media and on mobile devices.

Canada Trump tariff exemption ‘like dodging a bullet into the path of a tank’, says business leader

Canada’s exemption from Donald Trump’s global tariffs was “like dodging a bullet into the path of a tank”, say business leaders as other levies are poised to hit key industries that drive the country’s economy.In a theatrical unveiling of tariffs on countries with “unfair” practices on Wednesday afternoon, Canada was noticeably absent, alongside trade ally Mexico.But speaking speaking to reporters on Parliament Hill, prime minister Mark Carney said 25% tariffs on Canadian steel and aluminum, as well as on automobiles, will come into effect within hours.Canada would “fight these measures with countermeasures” he said, ahead of a meeting with cabinet ministers. “In a crisis, it’s important to come together. It’s essential to act with purpose and with force and that’s what we’ll do.”Already, Canada had put a 25% tax on C$30bn ($21bn) worth of US goods in response to Trump’s tariffs. Among the products targeted are spirits, wine and orange juice – items meant to inflict targeted economic pain. The federal government has repeatedly pledged to keep its retaliatory measures until the US lifts all levies on Canadian products.Carney warned that while Trump had preserved key elements of the bilateral relationship, the global tariffs announced earlier in the day “fundamentally change the international trading system”.The prime minister is expected to outline the next stages of Canada’s response on Thursday. According to the prime minister’s office, a meeting of Carney’s cabinet will follow. The Liberal leader is also expected to meet virtually with Canada’s premiers.Flavio Volpe, president of the Automotive Parts Manufacturers’ Association posted on social media the result was “like dodging a bullet into the path of a tank”.“The. Auto. Tariff. Package. Will. Shut. Down. The. Auto. Sector. In. The. USA. And. In. Canada,” he wrote. “Don’t be distracted. 25% tariffs are 4 times the 6/7% profit margins of all the companies. Math, not art.”Candace Laing, head of Canada’s Chamber of Commerce said in a statement the world was “waking up today to a reality that Canada has been living with for months” and that the tariffs mean businesses around the world “have had their uncertainty expanded … chain reaction of tariffs and counter-tariffs will have a real and distressing economic impact on Americans, Canadians and the global economy.”It is unclear the extent to which an “extremely productive” telephone call between Trump and Carney last week influenced the decision to grant a reprieve to Canada. The call, requested by the White House, was the first time the two leaders have spoken since Carney became prime minister on 14 March.Carney had previously said he would not speak to the president until Trump showed respect for Canada’s independence. “I’m available for a call, but we’re going to talk on our terms. As a sovereign country – not as what he pretends we are – and on a comprehensive deal.”The sprawling tariffs, some of which apply to remote and uninhabited islands, have rattled markets and Canadian officials were planning for levies that could devastate manufacturing hubs and resource-based economies.“The positive thing that I saw was we weren’t on that list,” Ontario premier Doug Ford told reporters at Queen’s Park. “Let’s hope that there’s some positive news coming.”The much-hyped announcement from the White House has already thrown a wrench in the federal election campaign. Carney flew from Winnipeg back to Ottawa on Tuesday night in order to convene a virtual meeting of business and union leaders who are part of the Canada-US Relations Council.In a handout, the White House said the president’s use of the international emergency economic powers act remained in effect – a declaration made in reference to the alleged movement of both migrants and fentanyl over the border.None of the items that comply with the continental free trade agreement will be taxed, the White House said, but “non-compliant goods” will have a 25% levy and energy and potash products will have a 10% tariff imposed. If the emergency order was rescinded, all “non-compliant” goods would face a 12% tax.The news pushed Canada’s dollar up, a currency that has over the last few months been depressed by the ongoing trade war.Canada has repeatedly argued a minuscule amount of the fentanyl in the US from the north. In new figures published by the Globe and Mail, the US border agency attributed less than one pound of seized fentanyl to Canada, or 0.13% of all seizures.Canada’s efforts to reach key voices in the US has met some success. On Wednesday evening, a bipartisan group of senators passed a resolution to end the national fentanyl emergency the president invoked earlier this year in order to justify the 25% tax on Canadian imports.The move, which attracted Republican senators Mitch McConnell, Susan Collins, Lisa Murkowski and Rand Paul to across the political aisle, is seen as a strong rebuke to Trump. But the vote is likely to be largely symbolic. House speaker Mike Johnson is unlikely to bring the measure to a vote.

DNR announces 2025 rare species community-based science projects

MADISON — The Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources (DNR) recently announced volunteer opportunities to help monitor rare and endangered species and manage their habitats in 2025.While many Wisconsinites appreciate the beauty of our plants, animals and natural landscapes, a special few volunteer their time to survey for rare and endangered species. These volunteers, known as community scientists, do things including learning to distinguish the calls of the 12 different frog and toad species found in Wisconsin or finding and identifying rare plants.The DNR seeks volunteers for the following projects:
Plants and Habitats:●  State Natural Areas Volunteers●  Wisconsin Rare Plant Monitoring ProgramInvertebrates:●  Karner Blue Butterfly Volunteer Monitoring Program●  Wisconsin Bumble Bee Brigade●  Wisconsin Mussel Monitoring ProgramOther Animals:●  Wisconsin Bat Program: Acoustic and Summer Roost Monitoring●  Wisconsin Frog and Toad Survey●  Wisconsin Turtle Conservation Program“Volunteers support critical research and monitoring for many of Wisconsin’s rarest plant and animal species and provide an effective approach to managing invasive species,” said Owen Boyle, DNR species management section manager. “We’re immensely grateful for the hours they’ve dedicated to this often complex and detailed work. When we better understand how species populations are being impacted by threats like degraded habitat, disease and climate change, we can take action before they disappear from Wisconsin.”In 2024, volunteers completed surveys and collected data in nearly every county in the state. Volunteer opportunities are available for everyone, regardless of initial skill level, science or nature experience or time availability. No matter who you are or where you are in Wisconsin, you can contribute to the management of our precious natural resources.Learn more about these opportunities.Other Ways To HelpTraining, coordination and data analysis for these projects, along with many other activities to conserve rare species by department staff, are supported in part by the Endangered Resources Fund. Contributions to the Endangered Resources Fund come from income tax form donations, Endangered Resources license plates and individual gifts.Learn more about the Endangered Resources Fund or donate.

Crypto Has Become the Trump Family Business

I know it’s almost overwhelming — the continuous cacophony of catastrophes brought on by the crackpot in chief. But I suspect what will bring him down sooner than anything is his boundless greed and that of his family. Monday, Eric Trump and Donald Trump Jr. announced they were joining forces with a bitcoin mining company to create…

Who’s Mad Scientist Monster on The Masked Singer? Fans Think It’s This Country Singer Underdog

This is Mad Scientist Monster’s big moment. The Masked Singer contestant said it was a chance for him to reintroduce himself to the world, and he’s making his mark!

During Group C’s debut, Mad Scientist Monster sang the hit classic “Unwell” by Matchbox Twenty. The Masked Singer judges panel led to believe that it’s a country legend. Jenny McCarthy thought it was Luke Bryan while Ken Jeong and Robin Thicke guessed Luke Combs and Blake Shelton.

Related: Here’s How Much The Masked Singer Judges Make Per Season

Related Stories

We’ve all heard that familiar country voice, but some netizens are convinced that it’s this lone crooner.

Who’s Mad Scientist Monster on The Masked Singer?

The internet’s best guess for Mad Scientist Monster is country singer Joe Nichols. Don’t believe us, take a look at the clues below.

Episode 7

“Becoming the Mad Scientist Monster fits perfectly for me, because you have to be a little bit crazy, keep experimenting, and reinventing yourself, which is why I’m here — I’m gonna win this thing. My skills made the scouts go wild, it seemed like everyone wanted to recruit me to their team” but when it was time for his chance he says “everything combusted”

Joe Nichols battled addiction since 2002 after the death of his father. In 2007, he checked into rehab.

“They sidelined me, I about lost my mind, but in the chaos, a new experiment bubbled to the surface — you see, for every action there is a reaction, and my reaction changed the world”

He made a comeback after parting ways with his longtime label when he signed to Red Bow in October 2012.

A radar gun that says “fast” on it

He just released his single “Home Run.”

A red liquid in a martini glass

Joe’s single “Tequila Makes Her Clothes Fall Off” rose in the charts.

A fish tank with a big trout in it all appear in the package as well

The country singer is a big fisher.

Here are the winners of The National Book Foundation’s “5 Under 35.”

April 2, 2025, 12:05pm

The National Book Foundation announced the five writers under 35 whose debut novels or short story collections promise “to leave a lasting impression on the literary landscape.” This year’s 5 Under 35 honorees are short story writers, prose-poets, and novelists who have won numerous honors and positions in their still-budding careers.
Every year, the honorees are picked by a group of fellow writers, previously honored by the National Book Foundation who each select one book to champion. The honorees, their books, and their selectors, are:
Stacie Shannon Denetsosie, The Missing Morningstar and Other Stories
Selected by Mona Susan Power for its “intense, brilliant energy — the well-crafted prose alternately poetic and stark, painting unforgettable scenes in striking detail”
Megan Howell, Softie
Selected by Deesha Philyaw for how “Megan so beautifully captures the heart going through the ringer while trying to survive.”
Maggie Millner, Couplets: A Love Story
Selected by C Pam Zhang, who found the stories “tender, prickly, funny, self-effacing, cerebral, erotic, and luminous.”
Alexander Sammartino, Last Acts
Selected by George Saunders for its “a sense of wry wonder that manifested as a pretty rare thing in fiction these days: genuine humor.”
Jemimah Wei, The Original Daughter
Selected by Morgan Talty for how it “transgress against the western arc of narrative,” and wrote that “there’s an element of transcendence to this book that’s hard to come by.”
You can read more from the winners and about why each selection was made over at Vulture.
This is the 20th anniversary of this program, which is sponsored by the Amazon Literary Partnership, and which awards each honoree a $1,250 prize—though surely Bezos can afford to pay them a bit more?

Dailysun | KwaZulu-Natal pupils win International Science Awards in Tunisia for Eco-Bricks and AI Road Maintenance Projects

Hamzah Ismail and Vibhav Ramdas flew Mzansi’s flag high in Mahdia, Tunisia.

KZN pupils win awards at international science festival.Two grade 12 pupils from St Dominic’s Newcastle School in KZN have earned international recognition at the prestigious International Festival of Engineering, Science and Technology (I-FEST²) held in Tunisia.Hamzah Ismail and Vibhav Ramdas showcased Mzansi’s emerging scientific talent during the event, which took place from 21 to 27 March 2025 in Mahdia, Tunisia.Bronze medal for sustainable construction solutionIsmail was awarded a bronze medal in the Environmental Science category for his research on Developing Eco-friendly, Fire-retardant Plastic Bricks as an Alternative in Modern Construction. His sustainable solution impressed judges amid tough competition.”The competition was tough, with talented scientists from around the world, so receiving this recognition is an incredible honour. “It reminds me that hard work and perseverance truly pay off. This experience motivates me to continue my scientific journey,” said Ismail.Computer science project earns honourbale awardRamdas received an Honorable Award in the Computer Science category for his project “Using Object Detection to Improve Road Maintenance,” showcasing artificial intelligence’s practical applications in infrastructure.”When I heard my name called at the awards ceremony, I felt a rush of excitement,” said Ramdas.”It felt amazing to represent my family and country. Hard work really does lead to success, and I’m inspired to keep pushing forward.”Eskom expo supports young scientists Together, young innovators from around the world were offered opportunities to showcase their work, exchange ideas, and engage in cultural experiences.Mologadi Motshele, Acting CEO of the Eskom Development Foundation, praised the students’ achievements.”Their innovation and dedication are inspiring. Eskom is committed to empowering South Africa’s youth through initiatives like the Eskom Expo for Young Scientists, which fosters skills in science and technology, ensuring the next generation can drive technological advancements and contribute to a sustainable future.”Eskom Expo Executive Director Parthy Chetty said: “Your success shows that with passion and perseverance, anything is possible. To all Eskom Expo learners, let this inspire you to dream big, work hard, and push boundaries.”Registration for Eskom Expo 2025 remains open for aspiring young scientists.For more news and entertainment in the palm of your hand, follow our WhatsApp Channel via this link